Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off-campus employment option available to F-1 students when the training (i.e. internship or employment) is considered an integral part of the established curriculum and directly related to the student’s major. “Training” refers to paid or unpaid work/study experience, internships, or cooperative education.
CPT can only be used during a student’s program of study.
CPT must be renewed each semester
CPT approved for part-time (20h or less per week) or full-time (20+ hours per week). Full-time CPT granted for summer semester only.
- Students who use 12 full months of full-time CPT become ineligible for OPT under US immigration law
- Use of part-time CPT does not affect OPT
- Consider applying for pre-completion OPT if your degree program is not eligible for CPT
You are eligible for CPT if:
- Lawfully enrolled as full-time student for one academic year (fall + spring semester)
- You will earn your degree from Otis College
- Must have an employment/training offer related to your major area of study
- Students authorized for part time CPT (20 hours or less per week) must be enrolled in a minimum of 10 credits for graduates and 12 credits for undergraduates each semester they engage in CPT. Students authorized for full time CPT (more than 20 hours per week) must be enrolled in at least one credit hour each semester they engage in CPT.
- Students who have completed their program requirements and are merely delaying graduation to make use of CPT are NOT eligible.
CPT Employment Duration & Limitations
- Approval granted each semester.
- You must reapply prior to each semester if interning multiple semesters.
- Not permitted to work until you receive an I-20 authorizing specific CPT dates
- Approved for a specific employer and a specific time period
- Meet with your Department Chair and/or Instructor; request that s/he complete the CPT Authorization Request Form
- Obtain detailed internship offer letter (see template)
- Submit application to the Center for Creative Professions (CCP)
- Pick up CPT I-20 after you have been notified via email by CCP
- Obtain an Social Security Number (paid internships only)
- DO NOT START THE INTERNSHIP BEFORE YOU ARE AUTHORIZED FOR CPT by the CENTER FOR CREATIVE PROFESSIONS!