OTIS INTERNATIONAL PRE- ARRIVAL CHECKLIST
Complete the International Student Verification Form
Upon acceptance into Otis you will be mailed an International Student Verification Form. In order to be issued an I-20 (for issuance of the F-1 Student Visa) the following materials will need to be mailed to Admissions
- Statement of Intention to Register
- Non-transfer seeking students need to complete A, B and D of the International Verification Form. Students transferring in need to complete, along with their previous school’s DSO, complete parts C1 & C2 of the form as well.
- Signature of Sponsor on Part A, Section 2.
- Passport copy of your identification page
- An official bank statement verifying specified funds
Applying for an F-1 Visa
For students applying from outside the U.S.
- Contact your local US Consulate or Embassy to inquire about the visa procedures for your country. A list of Consulates and embassies can be found at http://usEmbassy.state.gov
- Upon receipt of your Form I-20, make an appointment for a visa interview as instructed by the US Embassy or Consulate.
- Complete the required visa application forms.
- Pay the visa application fee as described by your local US Embassy or Consulate.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. If you are applying for initial attendance at Otis College, to change your status or filing for reinstatement, you must pay the $200 SEVIS processing fee. This fee must be paid such that your payment is processed no later than three business days in advance of your visa interview appointment. You can submit this form and pay this fee electronically at www.fmjfee.com with a credit card.
Canadian citizens do not need a visa, but simply present the I-20, SEVIS fee receipt, financial documentation, and proof of admission to Otis College to the immigration officer at the U.S. port of entry. A passport may be required depending on your method of travel. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of State's travel pages.
Prepare and Bring the Following to your Visa Interview
- A passport valid for at least six months
- SEVIS Fee Receipt
- Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11)
- Otis College admission letter
- Application Packet: Bring all original documents. Be sure to include:
Proof of secondary education completion or equivalent
- Completed visa application forms
- Two photographs in the prescribed format. www.travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotos/index.html
- A receipt for the visa application fee
- A receipt for the SEVIS fee
- Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses for the first year of your studies. This evidence may be your personal funds or funds given to you by a sponsor or family members.
- Any supplemental information that proves you intend to return to your home country upon finishing your educational program in the US. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
SEVIS Transfer Students
If you are changing schools within the U.S. and transferring your SEVIS record to Otis, there are visa and travel policies unique to your situation.
- To receive your updated I-20 from Otis and to transfer your SEVIS record, your previous school’s DSO must complete section C2 of the International Verification Form
- You can travel with your current F-1 visa and Otis I-20, even if the visa has your previous school's name on it, as long as the visa is not expired and you are not outside the U.S. more than five months between academic programs.
- You can use your Otis "transfer pending" I-20 to enter the U.S. once without a travel signature before the start date, even earlier than 30 days before the I-20 start date. The 30-day rule is only for travel with "initial" I-20s, not "transfer pending" I-20s. However, if you wish to travel outside the U.S. after your initial entry on your Otis "transfer pending" I-20, you will need a travel signature from a DSO.
All Otis students are required to have Health Insurance. Please click here for more information.
Review Post-Arrival Checklist
Review the Post Arrival Checklist to be prepared for your arrival in Los Angeles