- There is no copy stand available for use; please contact the Photo Lab on the sixth floor.
- The library maintains an ongoing collection of magazines. We do not throw them away. Bound volumes of back issues can be found in the periodicals stacks.
- Magazines, Reference, Special Collections and Artist's Books do NOT circulate. A copier and a large format, flatbed scanner are both available for your use. There is a 15-minute time limit for these machines while other patrons are waiting.
- Allow 24 hours when requesting Bound Periodicals that are located in the Library Annex. Request forms are available at the circulation desk. You may also page items through the online catalog. Requests expire after one day, materials will then be reshelved.
- Special Collections and Artist's Books are accessible only between 9 am and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Reserve materials supplied by your instructor are held behind the Circulation Desk. To access reserve materials, please present the circulation staff with the following information: Teacher's name, class name, title of item, author of item, nature of material (book, Xerox, reader, etc..).
The Otis Library encourages patron self empowerment. For your convenience, many transactions are available online including:
- Viewing what is checked out and account status
- Placing "holds" on materials checked out to other users
- Renewing your library materials.
Your Xnumber and Self Service Pin will be required.
Do not reshelve books, magazines or videos once you have removed them from their resting place. We prefer that you do not leave books or magazines on the tables. When you have finished with them, please place them on the book carts.
You are required to present your Otis ID when requesting library transactions. While the Otis library is available for use by the general public, circulation privileges are only offered to faculty, staff, and the students who are enrolled in degree programs. Before full library privileges are granted, you must:
- Obtain an Otis ID card from Student Services department
- Sign a Library Agreement Form
The library considers compliance with due dates and overdue fines part of your education.
- There is a book return slot in the circulation desk near the entrance.
- There is an AFTER HOURS book drop available at the opposite end of the library entry hall.
- Items placed in this book drop will be checked in on the following business day. The book drop is checked only once a day.
- Please do not place videos in the book drop.
- Please remember to check all books for personal paperwork and remove all bookmarks including post-it notes.
- Videos and DVDs, CDs, CDXs, and World Music Tapes must be returned during business hours and placed in the video return slot that is just outside the library security gates. Please be certain that all of the materials are placed in their corresponding cases, barcodes facing out.
- Remember to rewind VHS tapes.
- Two color copiers and two large-format flatbed scanners are available for your use. The use of the scanner is free. The copy machines do not take coins or bills. Use your student ID card and a debit or credit card to add value to your Paper Cut account. There is a card vend machine next to both the left copy machine arnd the Main Computer lab.
- Black & white copies are 5 cents each. Color copies are $.50 to $1. Please do not attempt to install paper in any Library owned machine. Library Staff are happy to help.
- Standard stapler, hole punch, and pencil sharpener, are located at the office supply station just right of the entrance. Please do not remove these materials from that location. Always clean up after yourself. White-out, glue stick, heavy-duty stapler, staple remover, compass, protractor, scotch tape, scissors, long-neck stapler and golf pencils are available for use upon request at the for use at the circulation desk.
- Please supply your own pens, paper clips, erasers and paper. Please refrain from removing paper from the copy machine or printer. You may have as much scrap paper as you like.
- Blue Books are sold in the Liberal Studies office. Text Books are sold at the beginning of every semester in the online bookstore, not in the library.
- Scissors, knives, X-acto blades, razor blades and all cutting devices are not permitted within the library. Please leave them in your car or your locker. If the library staff sees you with any cutting device in the library, it will be confiscated until you leave the library.
Play Well with Others
- The library is divided into two zones, talking and no talking. Please whisper while you are in the no talking section. Group study is allowed at the couches and at the talking zone tables only. Rambunctious behavior is not permitted.
- Please be considerate of others. Cell phone conversations should be conducted outside of the library.
- Do not run through the security gates--even if you are late for class.
- Beverages ARE allowed in the library but only those with lids. Greasy snacks are dangerous because the grease on your fingers can damage our books. Please refrain from bringing meals into the library. Please clean up after yourself.