Material and Checkout Policy for Alumni
Alumni borrowers must have a degree from Otis.
Contact Shefali Mistry, Alumni Relations and Advancement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-846-2553 for verification of graduation. The Alumni Office will notify the Library with names of alumni who express an interest in obtaining borrowing privileges from the library and are verified as graduates.
Alumni borrowers receive their library card from the circulation desk at the Library.
Go in person Monday through Friday between 10:00 AM and 4:30 PM. Your name must be on verified by the Alumni Office and approved in writing by email to the library before alumni access to the library will be granted.
Millard Sheets Library
3rd Floor, Ahmanson Building
Goldsmith Campus, Otis College of Art and Design
9045 Lincoln Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90045
Alumni borrowers sign an agreement form.
Alumni agree to special alumni borrowing guidelines established by the Library.
Alumni borrowers pay a non-refundable, annual $50 fee to the Friends of Library.
Pay this fee at the Library when you fill out the agreement form.
Alumni borrowers have access during regular Library hours.
Check the Millard Sheets Library web site for hours and library resources.
Regulations Pertaining to Alumni
Library cards are not transferable.
All standard Library policies remain in effect except:
- Slides and carousels do not circulate to Alumni.
- Alumni may borrow up to five items at any one time.
- Alumni may borrow books for two weeks.
- Alumni renewal period for books is seven days assuming there are no requests pending. You may renew only once.
- Alumni may borrow videos for two days.
- Alumni renewal period for videos is two days assuming there are no requests pending. You may renew only once.
- lumni who do not return library materials within the scheduled loan period will have their borrowing privileges suspended until the material is returned or renewed. The Library charges fines for overdue material, payable by the borrower. Borrowing privileges will not be restored until material is returned, renewed or replaced, and all outstanding fines and charges have been paid.
- There will be no grace period for overdue fines.
- Overdue fine for books is $.25 per day.
- Overdue fine for videos is $1.00 (does not include weekends or holidays).
- Alumni may place a hold on books that are charged out to students or faculty. However, such holds are subject to cancellation if the material is required for student or faculty use.
- In the event library material is lost or damaged, regardless of the reason, the holder of the membership will be held personally liable for replacement of the material, and reinstatement of membership privileges will not be considered until full compensation has been made for the replacement cost of said material and other charges incurred and recorded on the patron account.
- Non-return of library material constitutes a debt to the Otis College of Art & Design. Unresolved records and accounts will be turned over to the Finance Department for collection and settlement at the College's discretion.
- Alumni privileges do not include off campus access to subscription databases.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel or refuse memberships with the approval of the Library Director.
- If you are caught stealing, you will forfeit all library privileges indefinitely (without refund) and you will be subject to legal action.