Fair Use Checklist [PDF] - Prepared by the Millard Sheets Library
Information on Fair Use and Film [PDF] - The Society for Cinema and Media Studies’ Statement of Best Practices for Fair Use in Teaching for Film and Media Educators
Applying Fair Use - New York University Libraries
Educational Use is defined as private study and research.
You May use unaltered text and images from most licensed or copyrighted library online resources for:
- classroom activities and assignments
- displays and performances within the college as long as they are free of charge
- free presentations or performances at educational seminars, conferences, or workshops
- student or faculty portfolios not intended for public display or for sale
But you must cite the materials. Consult the course style guides for rules governing quotations and citation format, etc.
You May Not not lift text or images from licensed or copyrighted library online resources for:
- republishing in any format (including web sites)
- redistribution beyond the college by any means
- commercial or business-related purposes
- fundraising, marketing, or public relations without the express permission of the copyright owner and/or licensing agency.
If you wish to include copyrighted materials for the above uses, you are responsible for securing permissions in advance.
Adaptations of Images...
If you use images from library online resources and then alter or modify them, or incorporate them into another work -- the adaptations are still subject to these guidelines.
You may not retain text or images downloaded from library online resources beyond the life of our contract with the provider, or beyond your affiliation with the school.
Otis Library Must...
To fulfill our contracts with resource providers, we will report willing and knowing violations of these guidelines to the publisher or copyright owner. We reserve the right to deny access to online resources and to revoke the library privileges of any user who intentionally violates our licensing agreements or U.S. copyright law.
What About "Free" Stuff Downloaded from Web?
It is a good idea to follow the same guidelines. Assume that what you find on the web is copyrighted unless otherwise stated.