Building a Type Library
Each semester Typography students within Communication Arts are asked to acquire a typeface in an effort to begin building their personal type libraries. Students must provide a copy of the font’s user license or a copy of the purchase receipt to his or her Typography instructor.
To make this process easier the Department has acquired a few typefaces for student use (listed below). Students can pick up their copy in the Learning Lab after signing an End User Licensing Agreement (EULA). Unlike typefaces purchased by students, the following fonts are technically on loan to a student while she or he is a student at Otis. As outlined in the EULA students sign, the fonts can be used for educational purposes and on class-based projects only.
In addition, the Department has put together this list of recommended foundries with typefaces at a variety of price points. Students are asked to speak with their Typography instructor before purchasing any typeface to ensure the choice meets class requirements.
- Commercial Type | www.commercialtype.com
- Josh Darden Studio | www.joshuadarden.com
- DS Type | www.dstype.com
- Dutch Type Library | www.dutchtypelibrary.com
- Émigré | www.emigre.com
- Enschedé Type Foundry | www.teff.nl
- Font Bureau | www.fontbureau.com
- FontFont | www.fontfont.com
- Hoefler and Frere-Jones | www.typography.com
- Lineto | www.lineto.com
- OurType | www.ourtype.be
- Porchez Typofonderie | www.typofonderie.com
- Prime Type | www.primetype.com
- Process Type Foundry | www.processtypefoundry.com
- Storm Type Foundry | www.stormtype.com
- Typecuts | www.typecuts.com
- Typotheque | www.typotheque.com
- Underware | www.underware.nl
- Village | www.vllg.com