- All Goldsmith Campus trash is sent to a materials recovery facility, where a percentage of all campus waste is recycled and/or reused.
- Lighting is 100% efficient ballast & T8 / T12 efficient fluorescent tubes.
- Hand dryers in Ahmanson/Galef reduce paper waste.
- Non-emergency lighting is controlled by timers, pressure controls and motion sensors.
- The Ahmanson HVAC system is a highly efficient "VAV" (Variable Air Volume), and fan drives are variable speed with a computer-controlled environmental thermostat.
- The Galef HV/HVAC system uses "smart" thermostat control.
- Ahmanson's stainless steel water tower heat exchanger is highly efficient.
- Galef building design is based on green principles with solar efficient exterior building "Low E" glass.
- Ceramic kilns are energy efficient and firing takes places at night during "low peak" usage.
- Ahmanson elevators are computer controlled and use an efficient "smart" system.
- Goldsmith uses a solvent wash station and rag recycling service.
- Faculty/staff carpooling is encouraged through incentives.
- Eco-friendly packaging choices are offered at the café.
- FSC certified recycled paper and printing are used in College publications.
- Heat generated by Otis' computer system is used to heat the Ahmanson building in cold weather.
- Technical Services uses bio-degradable products whenever possible.
- TSS collects hazardous waste and disposes of it in an environmentally appropriate fashion.
A short video about Athens Recycling Services: