The SRC offers academic support in the form of peer tutoring for Otis students in English, Art History, and Math/Logic. Our trained tutors are graduate and undergraduate students who have been recommended for their position by Otis professors. If you desire assistance writing a paper, preparing for an exam, or understanding course readings visit a member of our academic support team. Tutoring services are available by appointment and on a walk-in basis; and are conducted in 30 minute and hour sessions. A sign-up schedule is located in the Student Resources Center.
|Monday||11 am - 7 pm|
|Tuesday - Thursday (Math)||10 am - 7 pm|
|Friday||10 am - 3 pm|
|Sunday||1 pm - 5 pm|
Art Historian Sessions with Jeanne Willette, Ph.D.
|Tuesday||11 am - 3 pm|
|Wednesday||11 am - 3 pm|
11 am - 3 pm
Academic Support Guidelines
Academic Support in the SRC is to assist you in improving your learning outcome. Tutorial can be an excellent resource for reinforcing ideas, expanding knowledge, and brainstorming. It is important to remember that what you put into your time at the SRC is what you get out of it. Below are some guidelines to aid in maximizing your Academic Support time at the SRC.
- Academic Support is held in either 30 minutes or one hour sessions.
- Tutors may see students on a walk in basis, subject to availability. However, we encourage you to make a standing appointment.
- Please log in and out each time you use Academic Support. This process helps the SRC better serve the Otis community in terms of hours and number of tutors available.
- Please remember that when you sign up for tutoring you are making a commitment to use this service.
- Students who fail to appear at three of their scheduled appointments, without notification, will be limited to the use of Academic Support on a walk-in basis only.
- Be on time for your appointments. If you will be late for an appointment, or need to cancel, please notify the SRC at (424) 207-2492.
- Be prepared for your appointment. Students should come to tutoring on time and bring with them their course syllabus, textbooks, and the assignment on which they are working.
- If you are five minutes late, for a thirty minutes session, your appointment will be given away to a student on the wait list.
- If you are ten minutes late, for an hour long session, your appointment will be given away to a student on the wait list.
- Tutors will make every effort to begin and end scheduled appointments on time, but in some cases appointments may run over. Please be patient.
- Remember, peer-tutors do not know all the answers; however, they can assist you in formulating questions to ask the instructor for clarification.
- Tutors will not write your paper for you, nor can they talk to the professor for you.
- If your paper is due in 2 hours or less, tutors will not “quickly read through” your paper.
- If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the service provided by a tutor, contact Carol D. Branch, Ph.D., Director, Student Resources Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 846-2554.
Online Tutoring Service: Sunday 1:00 pm – Friday noon
Email your papers to: email@example.com Online tutors will respond as soon as possible (usually within 48 hours, sometimes longer if it is a weekend or holiday).
SRC Front Desk
(310) 665-6964 - fax
Carol D. Branch, Ph.D.
Director, Student Resources Center
Title IX Coordinator