Alumni Mural Competition 2019
Call For Entries
Deadline to enter is August 9, 2019, 10pm
Background: Alumni and alumni teams are invited to submit proposals to create an original mural in Kathleen Holser Ahmanson Hall on the Elaine and Bram Goldsmith Campus of Otis College of Art and Design. The workspace is the interior wall of the South Hall on the second floor, which leads to administrative offices. This highly trafficked space serves students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the public. The opening reception will be in the Fall of 2019.
Opportunity Description: This opportunity is open to all Otis College alumni working in all disciplines; submissions in every form of two dimensional media are encouraged—such as painting, photography, graphic design, printmaking, and drawing as well as non-traditional forms such as fashion designs, blueprints, commercial art, text, or cartography. Works incorporating a dynamic blend of media are also encouraged.
The artwork should add vibrancy to the site. Mural must be created and completed during nights and weekends between Monday, September 2 and Sunday, September 29, 2019. The selected mural will be on display for approximately one academic year (October, 2019 through June, 2020). Design proposals must incorporate available lighting and the wall space cannot be altered.
Dimensions for the working space of the North Wall are detailed in the following illustration:
Maximum allotted length for mural relief elements is three inches.
Funding: Selected artist or artist team will be compensated in a total amount not to exceed $2,500 for the artist fee, which includes all installation and material costs.
Eligibility Requirements: This opportunity is open to Otis College alumni working in two-dimensional media including, but not limited to, painting, photography, graphic design, printmaking, and drawing. Previous public art experience not required. Otis College alumni may submit up to two proposals, alumni teams may submit up to two proposals. Alumni Team submissions are considered seperate from indivisual submissions.
Proposal: Artist must include:
- Artist Statement;
- Curricula Vitae;
- Narrative explanation of the concept for the proposed mural;
- Sketches, renderings, or digital illustrations representing the concept for the proposed mural that fairly depicts the design, color, and intent of the mural;
- Five image examples of previous work.
Artist Selection Considerations:
- Submissions will be accepted by individual alumni or alumni teams.
- The artist’s body of work must reflect artistic excellence, innovation, and originality.
- The artist is able to clearly articulate strong conceptual priorities and artistic approach or concept.
- Commissioned artist should reside locally or arrange accommodations while in Los Angeles, Otis College cannot offer travel arrangements or accommodations.
- Assessed ability to meet project deadlines and to perform work independently in a timely and professional manner.
- Insurance coverage is not available through Otis College.
Submission Deadline: Friday, August 9, 2019, 10pm
Jury Selection Panel: A jury panel established by Otis College will evaluate the proposals and commission one artist or artist team. Juror details to come.
Please contact Hazel Mandujano, Director of Alumni Relations with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
Noah Humes (BFA, '17)
Home, Noah Humes 2018, Image credit: Seth Lower
Sofia Enriquez (BFA, '14)
Cuidate Mucho, 2018 Sofia Enriquez Image credit: Seth Lower
2018 jurors were Victoria Burns, Sandra de la Loza, Noam Laich, Phranc and Vincent Ramos (BFA, '02)