Subject Matter in Art Competency
Proving Subject Matter Competency is just one step in earning a CA Teaching Credential (see all steps to earning at CA Teaching Credential here) and is typically done by either passing the CSET (CA Subject Exam for Teachers) or completing a CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing Approved Subject Matter in Art Program (like Otis' BFA Fine Arts major + ACT: Teacher Credential Preparation minor or BFA/MFA from an accredited institution + Otis College Extension Art Education Certificate's Teacher Credential Preparation track).
Subject Matter in Art Competency Evaluations / CSET Waivers
A third way to prove Subject Matter Compentency is to apply for a Subject Matter Compentency Evaluation to determine eligibility for a CSET waiver (this evaluation is also the pre-requisite for enrollment in the Otis College Extension Art Education Certificate's Teacher Credential Preparation track). Individuals who hold a BFA and/or MFA in fine art, design or media arts from a regionally accredited college or university can apply to waive the CA Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET) in Art by completing the steps outlined below. Evaluation of Subject-Matter in Art Competency takes 6-8 weeks to complete and there is no guarantee of CSET Waiver approval. Applicants are encouraged to review the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing's Subject Matter in Art Requirements before applying.
Applicants will be granted a CSET Waiver only if they have successfully completed courses for college credit that cover all the Subject Matter in Art Domains listed on the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing's Subject Matter in Art Requirements. If it is found that certain Subject Matter in Art Domains are missing, applicants can choose to take the CSET or to reapply for a Waiver after completing recommended college level courses covering the missing Domains, either through the Otis College Extension Art Education Certificate's Teacher Credential Preparation track or another college or university of their choice.
How to apply for a Subject Matter in Art Competency Evaluation / CSET Waiver:
1. Complete the online SMArtCE Application Form.
2. Attach or send official transcripts (from each college/university you attended) at the bottom of this form.
3. Attach course descriptions (PDFs from course catalog with School name and logo) of all courses to be evaluated at the bottom of this form.
4. Upload your portfolio with 10-20 images of work and/or 5-10 min. of video that represents the breadth of required art coursework.
5. Pay the $100.00 fee (Applicant will be directed to payment screen once the Application Form is submitted. Evaluation will not be conducted unless payment is made. Otis Alumni should inquire about evaluation fee waiver via email.)
6. Send a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of any analog materials and evaluation results (optional).
If you need to inlcude materials that can not be uploaded, like official transcripts or printed photographs, they can be mailed to:
ATTN: ACT Program / SMArtCE
Otis College of Art and Design
9045 Lincoln Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045
More about the Otis College Extension Art Education Certificate Programs: