Call for Art Submissions
In 2018 Otis College of Art and Design celebrates 100 years as one of the oldest and most respected U.S. art colleges, located in the vibrant, diverse arts hub that is Los Angeles.
As part of international programming around this milestone, Otis College is organizing an exciting invitational exhibition ASIA/LA ← → LA/ASIA, highlighting the College’s strong ties to Asia, also a growing center of creativity.
We invite you to submit work for inclusion.
Submissions will be accepted from Otis alumni, as well as present and past faculty whose heritage, art practice, or passions connect them in interesting ways to Asian culture. Reflecting the Otis College interdisciplinary philosophy, the show will include works in all media, from fine art to fashion to product design.
ASIA/LA ← → LA/ASIA runs from April 14 to April 22, 2018 and will be installed on several floors of the stunning ARA Art Center in the heart of Seoul, South Korea. The exhibition will be accompanied by an opening gala, press outreach, plus a digital catalogue purchasable in book form on demand, and will be featured prominently on the Otis Centennial website launching in August 2018.
Exhibited works will be selected by Otis College of Art and Design President, Bruce Ferguson, an internationally recognized critic and essayist, and Marlena Donohue, curator, critic, Full Professor of Art History at Otis College and Director of the Bruce Beasley Arts Foundation.
Open to all alumni, past, and present Otis faculty whose work/interests reflect Asian culture.
Submitted works can include
- Painting, sculpture, ceramics, jewelry, fashion, textiles, product design, digital media
- 2-D works not exceeding six (6) feet in the largest dimension, preferably on paper or un-stretched surfaces; stretched canvases will be considered but pose complex customs solutions for artists
- 3-D works not exceeding 50 pounds, including all installation requirements
- Digital works should not exceed the five (5) minutes length; final selections will be composed as a continuous loop
Submission packets for consideration should include
- Only digitally transmitted files that include four (4) to ten (10) works with title, date, media, and dimensions clearly designated; all files must showcase the quality of the works.
- Artist’s Statement, no more than half page of your brief artistic philosophy
- A Current Resume
Digital Submissions are due by March 16, 2018 at the link below. Selected artists’ work will be insured by Otis College for the duration of the exhibition at Ara Art Center. Please click on “Apply Now” below to fill out your submission information.
Please contact Marlena Donohue at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.