The Center for International Education at Otis (CIE) in collaboration with the Institute of International Education (IIE) which is a third party provider, will work with you in an effort to help procure you a J-Visa. Please review the step by step process below to view your role and responsibilities. Completed support documents, and Application for J-1 Exchange Visitor and Sponsorship Services listed in STEP 1 must be submitted to the Center for International Education, via email to Darren Grosch, email@example.com
- A prospective visiting scholar should send an application to the Department of office of their choice.
- The application should include:(1) application letter, (2) academic vita, (3) research plan, (4) statement of faculty support needed, and (5) potential benefits to the department and/or the college.
- Department Chair will review application and render a decision.
- Department Chair may set up a committee to review application and provide her/him with more information.
- Department Chair will submit a DS-2019 Request form to the Center for International Education for final approval
- No application will be approved unless a department member is willing to sponsor the visiting scholar.
- Departments normally supports one visiting scholar at a time.
STEP 1: Application & Supporting Documents
The visiting scholar will work with the sponsoring Otis Department and complete the IIE Application for J-1 Exchange Visitor and Sponsorship Services, download HERE.
In addition to this application, the sponsoring sponsoring department will also need to submit:
- A letter detailing the "Exchange Activities"
- An "English Language Verification Letter"
- A letter detailing the "Selection Process"
In addition to the application, and letters of support from the sponsoring department (the Visiting Scholar) must also submit the following documents in English:
- Proof of Financial Support
- Document of Highest Degree
- Passport Data
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Letter of "Motivation"
TO VIEW ADDITIONAL STEPS THAT THE VISITING SCHOLAR MUST TAKE TO PROCURE A J-1 VISA CLICK HERE
SPONSORING DEPARTMENTS MUST INFORM SCHOLARS ABOUT
- Correspond with potential Visiting Scholar regarding appointment, clarifying expectations regarding work space, staff support, faculty availability and cooperation, and benefits.
- Note that Federal regulations require all J visa holders to have health insurance coverage for themselves and their families at the following minimum level of coverage:
- Upon arrival the scholar may need help with transportation, housing or banking. Please arrange within the department for assistance in these matters before the scholar's arrival.
- If there are any changes in the scholar's situation, including significant changes in job duties, transfer to another institution, or leaving Otis College, please notify the Center for International Education to obtain pre-authorization as soon as possible.
- If the department intends to extend the scholar's appointment, please contact the Center for International Education three months before the expiration on the scholar's DS-2019, for assistance with the extension process.
- Submit a mid-year and year-end report describing the success (or lack of success) of the exchange program to the Center for International Education.
- Submit departure information and a final report form when the exchange program is completed to the Center for International Education. For programs of less than 3 months only the final report is required.