Visiting Scholars seeking to come to Otis that fall under one of the below categories must apply for a J-1 visa. Remember, it is crucial that you contact the Otis department that you would like to collaborate, this is your first step in becoming a Visiting Scholar. Click, HERE to contact a department.
Visiting Scholars fall into these categories:
- Research Scholar:
An individual primarily conducting research for more than 6 months. Research Scholars can also teach.
- Short Term Scholar:
An individual coming to the U.S. on a short term visit (6 months or less) for the purpose of research and teaching.
An individual primarily teaching courses for more than 6 months. Research Scholars can also conduct research.
An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the U.S. to observe, consult or demonstrate special skills. (12 months or less)
Visitors are expected to actively participate in a number of institutional activities, such as:
- Deliver a formal lecture to the host institution
- Engage in formal or informal discussions with students
- Undertake collaborative research with faculty or staff
- Contribute to the college's teaching by presenting guest lectures or faculty seminars
- Present a paper as part of a College's symposium