Otis College of Art and Design will host the next Consortium for the Liberal Education of Artists (CLEA) in Los Angeles is Postponed until Fall 2020.
The Consortium for the Liberal Education of Artists (CLEA) fosters conversation and exchange through a network of liberal arts educators teaching in arts schools across the country. Since 1994 CLEA schools have addressed common challenges and concerns by swapping the ideas and experiences of colleagues seeking to strengthen their curricular and programmatic initiatives, to provide student artists with innovative opportunities bridging art and its broader communities, and to critically engage changing canons and their role in educating diverse learners. CLEA conferences focus on innovative programs and teaching initiatives, resulting in ongoing exchange and collaborative projects between member schools.
Achieving 2020 Vision in Liberal Arts
This year’s theme of “Achieving 2020 Vision in Liberal Arts” encourages attendees to envision the future of their programs. What will STEM and writing education look like in the future? How can we address topics such as a growing population of international students, a demand for online and e-learning courses, sustainability, and partnerships between the Liberal Arts and Studio departments?
A running list of topics we would like to address at this year’s conference include:
- Co-requisite education: opportunities and challenges
- High acceptance rates – how they are affecting our classrooms
- High number of international students – addressing their needs
- Being a “1 room school house” – how can we be all things to all people?
- How to keep re calibrating our curriculum in response to the changing student population
- Diversity, inclusion, equity – achieving a faculty that is more reflective of our student body
- Partnerships between student affairs and academic affairs
- Shared governance – faculty governance concerns (including adjuncts’ role)
- Opportunities for service learning
- e-learning + engaging technology + online / blended courses
- Active learning projects
- Diagnosing students’ skills / placing them correctly
- Opportunities for resource sharing between CLEA schools
- Health and wellness for our students
- Sustainability - how schools are addressing it
- Liberal Arts and studio interactions
- STEM / STEAM / STREAM: Moving science and math from the periphery to the center of an art and design education
- ESL / ELL Instruction
- Writing Instruction
Come learn and share!
Click on the link below to register for CLEA 2020 (registration fee is $70)
We have secured a group rate of $159 per night between April 1st through April 4th. Reservations must be made by March 2nd 2020 in order to take advantage of the group rate.
Click on the link below to reserve your room.
1. Click on link
2. Select “ Your Stay Dates”
3. Check Availability