This page has moved to https://otis.libguides.com/LibraryHome/services
Please update your links.
Material and Checkout Policy
The Library manages the lending of materials to faculty and staff (borrowers) using the Virtua system. Currently employed faculty and staff with a valid Otis ID and a completed Library Checkout Agreement form may reserve and checkout materials using the following procedures. The Checkout Agreement outlines the basic terms and conditions of the transaction as well as the borrowers responsibility while using library materials.
|Books||Videos / DVDs / Blu-rays||iPad/tablets/e-Readers|
|Initial Checkout||3 weeks||1 week||1 week|
|Renewals Available - Faculty||2||1||1|
|Renewals Available - Staff||1||0||0|
- Renewals will not be allowed if there is a Request for the item in the system.
- Online renewals: Starting 3 days before materials are due, when a borrowers library account is current and they have no library issued holds, materials may be renewed online or through the Library’s Online Public Access Catalog using their Otis Xnumber and Self-Service PIN.
- If the borrower has difficulty renewing items, they should contact the circulation desk immediately.
- The Library’s equipment inventory is regularly maintained and considered to be in good condition for their circulation age, and in the case of electronic or visual media, in good working order.
- The borrower is responsible for inspecting the equipment before they leave the library. If any missing or damaged items are found, they must notify the technician on duty and make note of the condition in the system.
- The equipment is to be used in accordance with the proper operating procedures outlined in the user documentation.
- The Library is not responsible for data left on any laptop, tablet, or other device. The borrower is responsible for backing‐up all data before returning equipment.
Repair and Replacement
- The borrower is expected to return materials clean and in working order, and is responsible for all repair or replacement costs for damage caused during their use.
- Replacement costs are assessed at the time it becomes clear that the materials will not be returned, and vary based on availability and value of each item. Repair costs will be estimated by the library’s cataloger. The replacement equipment must be the same ISBN or model, and condition, or newer equivalent.
- Please see the Library’s Circulation Manager for an itemized list of materials and costs being billed.
- Payment should be made at the Library Circulation Desk, by cash or check.
Holds and Recourse*
- A Checkout Hold is automatically placed on the borrower’s account once any material is overdue in the system. A Checkout Hold will prevent the patron from borrowing materials from the library.
- Any Library materials overdue 30 days from the original due date and/or non‐payment of repair or replacement costs will be noted as delinquent in the Virtua system.
- Faculty account delinquencies will be forwarded to the Provost’s Office, and non‐Academic Affairs Staff delinquencies will be referred to Human Resources. Non-payment of repair or replacement charges will be noted in the context of annual Performance Evaluations.
*It is not within the Library’s purview to make exceptions to College checkout policies; Faculty may direct their concerns to the Provost’s Office, and Staff to Human Resources, should the need arise.