This year's Commencement will be held in-person on May 15, 2022! Stay tuned for more details.
Resources for Graduating Students
Information for Graduates' Families and Friends
This year, we are going to be celebrating our graduating students through an exciting in-person Commencement Ceremony on May 15th, 2022. You will have a chance to hear from our President, Provost, Board of Trustees, Honorary Doctorate Recipient, Valedictorian and more! We look forward to honoring each of our graduating students and celebrating them as their names are read!
Please Note: Once your graduate fills out the Leaving the Owl's Nest Survey (sent to them by email in Spring), they will be re-routed to the Commencement Participation form, where they can add additional emails that we will use when we send out invitations for our Commencement. Once the survey is sent out, please remind your graduate to complete that by APRIL 30th. Once we have your email, we will send more details in early May about how you can register to attend the ceremony.
Show Your Graduation SPIRIT!
Show your graduation spirit on Instagram! Add our custom gifs to your story by searching 'Otis College'
- Custom Festive Commencement gifs have been created for commencement by several of our Communication Arts Seniors, including Khang Nguyen, Lu Urzagaste Rios, Hanna La Salvia, Yaritza Velazquez-Medina , Edgar Giovanni Casarin, Laudan Moaven, Charlotte Cohen, Kiana L. Tenerelli, James Taisei Oakey, Ivan Gonzalo Cisneros, and KaiRong Wu
Important Dates and Reminders
Order Your Cap and Gown by March 25th!
If you would like to order your cap and gown, please visit our site through Jostens and clicking on Graduation Caps & Gowns. Once the order is complete you’ll receive a confirmation email. The deadline to order your caps and gowns to ensure that you receive it in time for commencent is MARCH 25th, 2022. If you would still like to order one after March 25th, please do so, but we cannot guarantee that you receive it before our ceremony.
Petition for Graduation- Due April 1, 2022
By the end of February, all students who are on track or likely to graduate at the end of Spring will receive a link to the Petition for Graduation form to their student email address. This form is required to graduate, and will allow you to choose a name for your diploma and for the commencement program. Your petition for graduation will be due on April 1, 2022.
Complete The Leaving The Owl's Nest and Commencement Participation Form by APRIL 30TH.
Please check your emails for the link to complete these surveys as soon as possible! If you have any questions, please email Francarlo Resto at email@example.com.
2022 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Sunday, May 15th, 2022
More information on how to receive tickets and get involved in our commencement this year will be sent to you by email and updated here within the next few months. Please check your email regularly and check back here for updates!
OneStop and Academic Advising
Petition for Graduation
By the end of February, all students who are on track or likely to graduate at the end of Spring will receive a link to the Petition for Graduation form to their student Otis email address. This form is required to graduate, and will allow you to choose a name for your diploma and for the commencement program. Your petition for graduation will be due on April 1, 2022.
Eligibility for Commencement
In order to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you must be on track to complete all of your degree requirements by the end of the term and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher. If you receive a Petition for Graduation and meet the GPA requirement, then you are eligible to participate.
We are pleased to announce that, for the first time in Otis College history, graduating students will receive both a traditional paper diploma - suitable for framing - and an electronic diploma that can be sent to employers or added to your LinkedIn! You will be contacted with instructions for ordering your diploma once all Spring grades have been tallied and your degree becomes official.
Some students may wish to order more than one copy of their diploma, or a second diploma with a preferred name. If you wish to do this, you can place an order using the Request for Replacement Diploma form. You can order a replacement diploma at any time, even years after your graduation. Please note that any second or third diplomas carry an additional $75 fee.
Caps and Gowns & Grad Events
Student Activities is hosting a number of events to help you prepare for commencement!
Fall 2021 | Grad Lunch is on November 8th from 11:15am - 12:15pm in The Forum. This event will discuss how to order your cap and gown, how to prepare for graduation, and connect with resources like Career Services, OneStop, Academic Advising, and Alumni Relations, that will be able to assist you through graduation and beyond. RSVP here to reserve your spot!
Spring 2022 | Our Grad Fest events take place in mid-to-late February. During these sessions, you will have the opportunity to order your cap and gown, understand how to prepare for graduation, and connect with campus resources.
Caps and Gowns: If you would like to order your cap and gown, please visit our site through Jostens and clicking on Graduation Caps & Gowns. Once the order is complete you’ll receive a confirmation email.
- Leaving the Owl’s Nest Survey: Check your Otis email for the link to the mandatory Leaving the Owl’s Nest Survey. Submit the required form and provide a link to your art and design portfolio, website, or social media. The link you provide will be uploaded to the Otis College website for the Annual Exhibition Senior Show.
- Dashboard Access: Your Dashboard and Otis email will remain active during the summer after commencement. Your Dashboard, Otis email, and Otis G‐Drive will be deactivated in August 2022. Please set up email forwarding to your personal email and save any data on G‐Drive and external links you access on Dashboard to your browser or cloud storage. Update your Online Job Board Profile's contact email that reflects your email that you will be using post graduation.
- Career Services Workshops: Career Services is offering virtual workshops to help you prepare for your transition to the next destination after Otis College. Check the events section of the Job Board, Otis Owl Events App, or check your Otis email for additional information.
- Job Search Tips and Information: Career Services stresses the importance of engaging in your own professional development efforts during your senior year. Visit Career Services to start early and get assistance with your job search now! Learn more at Career Services.
- Post‐Graduation Access: All Otis Alumni will have access to the Office of Career Services Job Board/Career Portal. After you graduate, access the Job Board/Career Portal directly online to search for job opportunities, one‐on‐one career counseling (virtual and in‐person), access to Career Services events, engagement with Otis Community, and post art and design positions you wish to advertise to students or fellow alumni. Download Otis' Online Job Board "Handshake Jobs and Careers" app for quick access on your phone.
- Recruitment Events -
- Intern Recruitment Day - March 31, 2022. Career Services hosted employers, various recruiters, and creative professionals to help you find an internship or job! Please set up an appointment with Career Services if you need support with preparing your portfolio and resume.
- Annual Exhibition Senior Show/Industry Night - May 13, 2022. Your last chance to showcase your talent and work to industry professionals, recruiters, and more!
The Otis Alumnx community is a support system and professional network.
Otis College Alumnx
At Otis College of Art and Design, alumnx have attended Otis for at least two consecutive semesters or earned a certificate from Otis College Extension. Otis College of Art and Design was founded in 1918, there are approximately 9,800 Otis College Alumnx. Visit Alumni to find discover some of our Outstanding Alumnx throughout the decades.
Alumnx Relations launched the Otis Alumni Association in 2021, which is free and open to all alumnx.
Join the virtual community of alumn, build a profile and connect with alumx of all generations here. To join, sign up at otisalumniassociation.org and please use your personal email address or connect from Facebook.
If you would like a letter to show proof of being a part of the Otis College Alumnx Association, please email Hazel Mandujano, Director of Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Store your X number to access official student records, the Millard Sheets Library or are interested in using Otis College facilities.
Otis Google Drive and Otis e-mail
Otis Google Drive and email access for graduated seniors is deactivated every August 15th. Make sure to download anything stored on your g-drive and back-up email contacts within a month of graduation.
Diplomas may take several months to mail out and reach you after graduation. You must submit a Diploma Release Form and update your mailing information with the One Stop area before you graduate, if you change your address before you receive your diploma, or have a questions or concern relating to your diploma at email@example.com.
Completing degree requirements
If you need to complete credits to meet your degree requirements, start by contacting the One Stop at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with Academic Advising.
Students must clear holds on their records before the Office of Registration and Records will process a request. If you need to request a transcript, allow up to 1 month to receive them from third party National Clearing House Transcript Services. You will need to submit either your Student ID number or social security number and there will be a $15.00 fee when you place your order. Processing time: Approximately 10-12 business days (processed for electronic PDF delivery).
Labs and facilities access at Otis College
To use an Otis lab or shop, you must either enroll in an Extension course or the Alumni Project Workshop (APW). APW is designed for alumnx with prior experience in the lab/shop of which they are seeking access. Students are screened by the APW liaison/mentor, Andrew Armstrong, Director of Technical Support Services. Contact Extension at email@example.com for more information. Space is limited and Extension schedules and course fees apply.
Millard Sheets Library
You may always visit the Millard Sheets Library and browse through the book and magazine selection during operating hours. To request full access to borrow materials, email Hazel Mandujano, Director of Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Confirmation of your alumn status is then sent to the Library to make you eligible for access. There is a $50 annual fee for full library access.
Job Board and Career Services for Alumnx
You have the same access to the Career Center as alumnx as when you were a current student. You can request access to the job board and make an appointment to see a counselor for advice and support. On the Otis College website, go to the Career Services page, select Alumnx and follow the “request for access” link.
Becoming an Otis College employee or faculty
Alumnx can search the employment listings at Otis College’s website to look for open Full-Time Staff, Full-Time Faculty or Full-Time Admin positions and apply. For Part Time Teaching opportunities, contact Department Chairs directly to submit your CV or Resume and an introductory letter.
Supporting current students
Otis College is a non-profit institution and counts on contributions from alumni and friends to offer scholarships to students. As an alumnx you will regularly receive requests for donations by mail and email, if you are not able to donate, not to worry, just know Otis is always working to find ways to support current students. You can donate to Otis College by texting Otis100 to 41444 or visit otis.edu/giving No amount is too small, your gift is so important to us!
Donating time or artwork
There are lots of opportunities to support Otis, many alumni have donated artwork to be used for communications like special note cards, t shirt designs, and illustrations and images for the website. Volunteer opportunities are also available for panel discussions and Admissions events.
Always keep the Office of Alumni Relations updated with your current contact information by visiting the Alumni page on the Otis College website or emailing Director of Alumni Relations, Hazel Mandujano at email@example.com. You will receive emails and newsletters from Otis College, invitations for events and competitions. You can also follow us and message Otis Alumni Relations on Instagram: @otisalumnx
Sharing Accomplishments with Otis and Class Note Submissions
Please keep us in the loop, we are proud of you and want to help promote your accomplishments! Email Director of Alumni Relations Hazel Mandujano with your news: firstname.lastname@example.org You can also submit a class note to be considered for inclusion in Grid at Otis College, a digital publication for the Otis College community here.
If you have a formal complaint you would like to make regarding faculty or staff even after you’ve graduated, you may contact the Vice President of Human Resources, Karen Hill at email@example.com
Feedback or Ideas
You may submit idea proposals for Otis Alumni Clubs, events to Director of Alumni Relations, Hazel Mandujano at firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure your contact information is updated to receive newsletters on events like Feedback Forums and events organized by Alumni Relations.
Alumni Swag or Gift
Each year the graduating class receives a small symbolic gift from Alumnx Relations as a way to welcome the new class of Alumx and help us feel connected after leaving Otis. You can pick up your gift at this year's Grad Fest or by stopping the Alumnx Relations office located in the Kathleen Holzer Ahmanson Hall on the second floor, Suite 211j.
Alumnx Exploration Series
Alumnx Exploration Series is a virtual discussion hosted by Alumni Relations where the audience is invited to explore an Otis Alumnx’s art and design practice, perspective and ideas. All panel discussions and interviews are free and open to all. You can submit a proposal for a future presentation beginning in Fall 2022 to Director of Alumni Relations, Hazel Mandujano at email@example.com
Alumnx Discussion Groups
Open call for groups, including educators, designers, entrepreneurs, and affinities—including those from the BIPOC and LGBTQIA communities—to participate in the Alumnx Discussion Groups, a virtual space for open group discussion on all issues, ideas, and topics, with the goal to develop working documents for sharing with the discussion group and alumnx community. All topics relating to art and design practices are welcome and encouraged. To submit a proposal, email Hazel Mandujano, Director of Alumnx Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A note on the term Alumnx
In an effort to be inclusive of our entire alumni community, Alumni Relations at Otis College has decided to introduce the use of the term “alumnx,” which is considered to be a more inclusive, gender-neutral term that can be used in place of alumna, alumnus and alumni.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Alumni Relations office: email@example.com
Director of Alumni Relations, Hazel Mandujano firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Health and Wellness
Access to the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) ends on Friday, July 29th, 2022.
Medical and mental health services will no longer be available to you after Friday, July 29th, 2022.
August 14, 2022: Otis Student Health Insurance Plan end date. If you are enrolled in
the plan, medical, mental health and dental coverage will extend until this date. Learn more at Student Health and Wellness Center
Reminders Before May:
• Visit Student Health and Wellness Center to receive all refills on medications, vaccinations/immunizations and/or final medical
• Get screened for overseas travel and receive any required vaccinations or tests.
• Receive TB Test (employers may require new hires to have a recent TB Test)
Accessing Healthcare After the end of July:
• Students with Otis Health Insurance Plan: Use your Sydney Health App to find
local medical and mental health providers convenient to where you live.
• Find and purchase a new health insurance plan by going to healthcare.gov or
or calling 1‐800‐318‐2596. Note: Employers may offer you health benefits as
part of your salary offer, check with your future employer regarding benefits.
Accessing Health and Health Insurance Related Records:
• Otis Health Insurance Plan – ID Card: Access your Anthem Health Insurance Card through the Sydney Health App
• Access 1095‐B Tax Form: If you enrolled in the Otis Health Insurance Plan in
2016, 2017, or 2018 academic years, request by email to email@example.com ‐‐‐ For students enrolled in the plan from 2019 until now, request tax forms by contacting Anthem Customer Service line located on the back of your insurance card.
• Access Health Records: Access your immunization history, lab history, and patient summary reports from SHWC through OwlCare at otiscollege.studenthealthportal.com
Post-Graduation Dashboard Access
- Otis College, Career Services' Online Job Board/Career Portal.
- Fill out your Petition for Graduation
- Complete your Leaving the Owl's Nest Survey by April 30th.
- Order your Cap and Gown by March 25th, 2022.
- Check your emails REGULARLY for updates on how to get involved with Commencement.
- Clear any diploma holds
- Fill out the Diploma Release form