Otis College of Art and Design
Commencement –Sunday May 10, 2020
16007 Crenshaw Blvd, Torrance CA 90506
Information for Graduates
- All Commencement Regalia (Cap and Gowns) will be delivered to your Academic department on or about April 20.
- Graduates need to arrive at the Marsee Auditorium no later than 10:15am on the day of Commencement. Follow signs from the front entrance of the theater to the student robing area which will be outdoors on a large patio adjacent to the auditorium. You must have a cap and gown to walk in the ceremony. Please wear clothing underneath your gown - cotton or other natural fiber clothing is recommended. – Remember to iron your gown.
- Water and light refreshments will be provided, but please eat ahead of time. Volunteers will be available to help students get into their caps and gowns and get lined up for the procession. There is not enough room in this area to accommodate visitors. Please ask your guests to proceed directly into the theater when doors open at 11:00am. Leave valuables with your family and friends. All graduates need be in line for the procession by 11:15am or they will not be able to march.
- Parking for graduates will be located in LOTS J & K which is conveniently located off of Crenshaw Blvd. Signage directing graduates to Otis Commencement will be on site. Your parking is prepaid and their will be a map placed inside the envelope that holds your commencement tickets. Commencement tickets will be distributed beginning Monday, April 20, in the Student Life Center, Anne Cole Building, suite 150 between 10:00am to 5:00pm each day through commencement day or until all have been picked up.
- Overflow parking for up to 100 vehicles will be available in the multi-level parking structure H, located off of Redondo Beach Blvd. and Stadium Way. Please use this only as an alternative if there are no available spaces in lots J & K.
- For GUESTS: An outdoor restroom facility will be available for those arriving early, however it is not suggested to arrive much earlier than 11:00am, as the doors to the venue remain locked, and guests are not admitted until 11:00am.
- All guest seating is assigned by the venue. No saving seats will be allowed. Wheelchair access is available and a sign-language interpreter will be at the program. Anyone needing handicap seating, wheelchair access or special assistance should email Erica Javidzad at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 27, 2020.
- Commencement begins at 12:00 p.m. sharp. The ceremony will last approximately 1-1/2 hours. There is no reception and after the ceremony all graduates leave after our interim president of the college adjourns the ceremony. Out of respect for your fellow graduates, please do not leave the ceremony once you cross the stage. Return to your seat, and the program will end at approximately 1:30pm.
- Cameras are allowed; please note, we are required by the theater venue to have the aisles remain clear at all times. Please ask your guests to comply. A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate as they cross the stage. Students will be able to order copies of photos from the photographer.
- We will not be able to convey messages to or from your family. You may carry a cell phone however please turn it off before the procession begins. In an emergency, have your families go to the information table outside in the main lobby and staff there will be available to assist.
- Commencement is an exciting and memorable day for all graduates and their guests, but it is also a solemn one. Graduates and guests are expected to remain for the entire ceremony. Leaving before the ceremony has ended is disruptive and disrespectful to others. The last graduate to cross the stage should expect to receive the same honor as the first. Please show consideration for all graduates by remaining seated until the conclusion of the ceremony.
- During the ceremony, graduates and guests should refrain from excessive talking, cheering, use of noisemakers, and any other distractions that take away from the dignity of the ceremony.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, all guests must remain in their seats until the platform party and all graduates have exited the ceremony. Guests can meet their graduates in the Marsee main lobby outside.
- Diplomas are not distributed during the Commencement ceremonies. Students who are eligible for diplomas will receive a notification by mail following the graduation date and upon the successful completion of all remaining degree requirements. Please be sure to update your mailing address in Self-Service by logging into your dashboard at my.otis.edu.
Other Important Reminders
- All guests will be given the option to place an order for a DVD copy of the ceremony through a third party vendor.
- No balloons, beach balls, or noise making devices (blow horns, bells, whistles, etc.).
- Please leave or turn off cell phones and do not walk in the procession talking on your cell phone.
- Use the bathroom before the procession. Portable restrooms will be rented and stationed outside the venue.
- There will be a flower vendor on site at the ceremony.
- Your Class Marshal will provide you with your name card on Sunday. All students must have a name card in hand when crossing the stage.
- Live Stream web address will be emailed during the first two weeks of May.