Otis College's First Year Experience Program
Otis College's FYE Program - Take FLIGHT - focuses on helping first year foundation students and new foundation transfer students succeed academically and personally. Students will find support to thrive academically, engage positively with their peers, and create a healthy mindset in order to be their best creative selves by participating in the program's six sessions.
Take FLIGHT Sessions
All 6 sessions must be completed by first year foundation students and transfer foundation students by April 16, 2021 in order to receive the $500 first year scholarship.
For more information about these sessions, please visit the Otis Owl Events app on your smart phone or access Otis Owl Events under Calendars on your Dashboard.
First year foundation and foundation transfer students can also find this information through their FYE: First Year Experience Course located in the Nest.
Take FLIGHT 2020-2021
View each part below to see important dates, sign up with registration links, and learn additional details. Check your Owl Events App for specific dates and details.
All sessions must be completed by Friday, April 16, 2021 in order to be elligible for the $500 scholarship.
Finding Friends - Helping Students Create Community and A Sense of Belonging
Students can complete this session by completing these two parts:
- Attending one of the Find Friends Events OR a Peer Mentor Event
- Meeting with their peer mentor one-on-one
- Students can meet with their peer mentor one-on-one by emailing them directly. Look out for monthly newsletters and emails from your peer mentor!
Learn About Money - Improving Your Financial Health
Students must attend a virtual workshop hosted by our Otis College staff from the One Stop and Student Financial Services. Students will be introduced to the the new ECMC platform, as well as key components of how to manage a college budget.
In order to successfully complete this, students must attend one of the workshops and check into the event.
Identity and Diversity - Developing Awareness of Yourself
In order to receive credit, students must attend the virtual Take FLIGHT Identity and Diversity workshop.
In order to successfully complete this, students must attend the workshop and check into the event. Please click on the date below to register.
Goal Mapping - Exploring Your Personal Profile to Expand Your Career Development
Students have two options they can choose from in order to complete this session,
1. The first option is to attend a virtual Take FLIGHT Goal Mapping workshop hosted by Career Services staff, and only need to attend one of the sessions offered.
In order to successfully complete this, students must attend one of the workshops and check into the event. Please click on one of the dates below to register.
2. The second option is to book an individual Take FLIGHT Career Counseling Session through the Job Board/Career Portal located on your dashboard (select career appointments and choose your preferred date/time).
- Please indicate in the notes section of your appointment request “Goal Mapping –Take Flight Session”.
- Appointments will be conducted virtually via Zoom and you will be sent your career counseling Zoom meeting link directly.
Students can choose to complete which option to complete in order to receive credit for this session.
Health & Wellness - Developing a Wellness Mindset and Strategies for Self-Care
Students must attend a virtual workshop hosted by our Otis College staff from the Student Health and Wellness Center. Students will learn how to develop positive coping mechanisms in order to be successful personally and academically.
In order to succesfully complete this, students must attend the workshop and check into the event. Please click on the date below to register.
Time & Project Management - A Holistic Approach to Setting Priorities
There are two steps you need to do in order to complete this experience. Students must:
- Complete online module located in your FYE: Take FLIGHT course on the Nest. This module is under Time and Project Management.
- Attend 1 one-on-one in person appointment with an Academic Success Coach. The Student Learning Center provides one-on-one, 20 minute Time and Project Management coaching sessions. Students will meet with a success coach to review, plan, and/or practice proven strategies that first year students need to be successful. Students have the flexibility to meet with a coach in-person in the Student Learning Center or online, via Otis' online conferencing software Zoom. Students may make an appointment with a coach via that SLC's appointment system.
Students must complete both steps listed above to receive credit.
$500 First Year Scholarship
In order to receive your $500 scholarship in full, new first year foundation students MUST attend and complete all 6 sessions as outlined. First-Year Foundation Students have until April 16, 2021, to complete all six sessions successfully. Once students have completed their six sessions, a $500 Scholarship will be posted to their student account toward their Fall 2021 account balance.
Scholarship Disclosure: The FYE scholarship is offered only to new foundation and new foundation transfer students for the Fall 2021 semester and cannot be transferred to any prior or future semesters. The FYE award is non-refundable and is applied to tuition charges only. You are required to have minimum of 2.00 GPA. The full award will be rescinded if your enrollment drops below full time (12 credit hours), you withdraw from all classes or found guilty of an ethics violation any time during the Fall 2021 semester. Your eligibility for the scholarship award may be reduced if you receive other tuition specific financial assistance (external scholarships, grants, VA or employer education benefits). The total amount of all tuition specific aid cannot exceed the Fall 2021 tuition charges. This scholarship award will be included in your billing statements and/ or individually prepared invoices. All federal aid (loans, grants, Yellow Ribbon, GI Bill, etc.), state, and institutional aid will be coordinated to not exceed the total cost of attendance.
There are many other activities and events that could help you soar even higher and make the most out of your first year at Otis College. We suggest exploring the following:
- Attend Life Drawing and Building Form workshops after class; this will help you fine tune your skills.
- Explore additional online financial management courses found on your dashboard.
- Attend Health and Wellness events! Find all dates and times at Owl Events online.
- Attend workshops and guest lectures on campus—there are so many great speakers we bring to campus to help inspire your own creativity
- Meet with your Academic Mentor regularly—they are an amazing resource!
- Visit an Academic Advisor at the One Stop--go to your Dashboard to make an appointment!
- Join a club or organization. Find out more information on Otis Owl Events online
- Visit the Ben Maltz Gallery exhibit on campus
- Attend at least 2 student activities events—you can find information on Otis Owl Events online
- Go to residential programs put on by our RA (if living on campus)
- Consider submitting to the Excellence E-Portfolio Competition
Program Learning Outcomes
Take FLIGHT and learn how to:
- Improve time and project management.
- Locate and use both on campus (One Stop) and web platforms (Dashboard) as resources for course engagement, advising, registration, and financial questions.
- Access campus resources such as peer mentors, academic mentors and advisors, tutors, and other offices and individuals who support their success at Otis College.
- Develop interpersonal relationships with a diverse community at Otis College and in the Greater Los Angeles area that further enhances their sense of identity.
- Determine the habits and practices that support self-care and encourage independent problem solving.
- Participate in co-curricular experiences such as joining a club/organization, attending campus and residential programs, and/or initiate their career development plan.