The Center for International Education in collaboration with the Institute of International Education will work with you to bring over an Visiting Scholar. Please review the step by step process below to view your role and responsibilities.
- Correspond with potential Visiting Scholar regarding appointment, clarifying expectations regarding work space, staff support, faculty availability and cooperation, and benefits.
Note that Federal regulations require all J visa holders to have health insurance coverage for themselves and their families at the following minimum level of coverage:
If the scholar is not eligible for benefits, she/he may purchase a policy upon arrival. "Health Insurance for Visiting Scholars" is available online. Please communicate with the Visitor before arrival about this important issue.
- Submit a DS-2019 Request, along with the necessary supporting documents to the Center for International Education three months prior to the start date of the J-1 scholar's arrival.
- Upon arrival the scholar may need help with transportation, housing or banking. Please arrange within the department for assistance in these matters before the scholar's arrival.
- Upon arrival of the Visiting Scholar please submit the Arrival and Address form (with supervisor's signature) to the Center for International Education (with-in 10 days of Visitor arrival).
- If there are any changes in the scholar's situation, including significant changes in job duties, transfer to another institution, or leaving Otis College, please notify the Center for International Education to obtain pre-authorization as soon as possible.
- If the department intends to extend the scholar's appointment, please contact the Center for International Education three months before the expiration on the scholar's DS-2019, for assistance with the extension process.
Department + Visitor
- Submit a mid-year and year-end report describing the success (or lack of success) of the exchange program to the Center for International Education.
- Submit departure information and a final report form when the exchange program is completed to the Center for International Education. For programs of less than 3 months only the final report is required.