Disability Housing Accommodations
Residence Life and Housing recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Under the Fair Housing Act, a reasonable accommodation is a change or exception to any rule, policy, procedure or service needed in order for a person with a disability to be able to have equal access to and full enjoyment of their home. Our goal is for students to be able to live in housing and have an equitable opportunity to be successful in academics and all social aspects of the Otis College Residence Life program.
Otis College’s Disability Services is responsible for the evaluation and approval of all requests including housing accommodations. If you are a student with a disability and are seeking reasonable accomodations, you will need to submit an application to register with Disability Services. The application can be found on the Owl Care portal located on the student Dashboard. For housing accommodations, you are required to apply on an annual basis.
Otis College’s Disability Services will accept applications for accommodations at any time. For fall semester accommodations applications will begin July 1st and for spring semester applications will begin December 1st. Due to the limited number of single rooms and ADA compliant rooms, priority is given to returning residents and those with the highest medical need.
If you are a returning resident who has completed a Disability Services application previously, contact Dr. Carol Branch directly for annual registration.
How to Request a Housing Accommodation
Use the steps below to submit a Disability Services application on the Owl Care Portal:
Step 1 - Gather appropriate documentation
Read the Guidelines for Documentation for general information
For Service and Support documentation details, read The Hoot section titled, “SERVICE/SUPPORT ANIMALS IN THE RESIDENCE HALL/AFFILIATED-HOUSING”
Step 2 - Open the Owl Care Portal to access the application
- Owl Care is located on your student dashboard.
Step 3 - Click Application under the Accommodations Tab
Step 4 - Complete the Disability Services application and upload documentation
- Be sure to thoroughly complete the application and be specific on the type of accommodation you are seeking
- Service Animals is a menu item to select, but all other housing accommodations must be added under the “Other Requested Accommodations” box
- Here are several examples of accommodation requests to include:
- Emotional Support Animals
- Single Room
- ADA Room
- Meal Plan
Step 5 - Contact Disability Services to set up a meeting with Dr. Carol Branch
- Directly after you submit the application be sure to email or call Disability Services to set up a meeting with Dr. Carol Branch. To clarify, there is no notification to complete this step and it is your responsibility to set up an appointment to complete the application process.
- Dr. Carol Branch
- Dr. Carol Branch