Waiving the Otis College Health Insurance Plan
All Otis College students are required to have health insurance and are automatically enrolled on the student health insurance plan. Students with health insurance coverage that meets the College's requirements may waive out of the plan by completing an online waiver.
2019-2020 Academic Year Waiver Deadlines:
|(MFA Graphic Design)||6/6/2019|
|(Incoming Spring 2020 Students)||1/31/2020|
IMPORTANT - Unless you waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan by the deadline, you will remain enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan, and the premium (cost) will be applied to your student account. Once enrolled onto the Student Health Insurance Plan, you will be enrolled on the plan for the remaining plan year.
Please note, the 2019-2020 plan year, you only need to waive one time.
Once you have waived, your waiver will carry through into the following semester should you continue at the college.
NEW INCOMING STUDENTS OF SPRING 2020, your waiver submitted in Spring 2020 will be valid for January 6, 2020 through August 14th 2020.
If you would like to waive for the 2020-2021 plan year, you will need to submit a new waiver for that plan year, which will be available before the Fall 2020 academic semester. The waiver link and instructions will be sent to student's Otis College email address from Academic Health Plans (AHP).
- Have an electronic copy of your current insurance card and your Otis College student ID.
- Go to: https://otis.myahpcare.com.
- Select “Waiver”
- Select the Domestic BFA/MFA student or International BFA/MFA student link.
- Log in to the system by using the following:
- Login – OC ID (Ex:X12345678)
- Password – Date of Birth in MMDDYYYY format, unless previously changed. (Ex: 01011990)
- Select the ‘Sign In” button.
- On the home page, select “WAIVE” button from the “I Already Have Insurance” section.
- Enter your insurance information and attach your required documentation.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button at the bottom of the waiver form.
*Please allow 7-10 business days from waiver approval for the Health Insurance Fee to be removed from your student account
Requirements to waive:
- Your current insurance plan must give you access to in-network/contracted doctors, specialists and facilities located in Los Angeles. Regional HMOs and state funded insurance plans outside of CA may not meet this requirement. Please confirm with your insurance company if you are unsure.
- Your plan must have a US phone number and address
- If you have an international insurance plan, your plan must meet the US Government J1 Visa minimum requirements - 1) Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 3) Medical Evacuation benefit in the amount of $50,000 or more 4) Deductible must be $500 or less for each accident or illness
*It is your responsibility to ensure that your health insurance plan meets the above requirements. If you are unsure, please confirm with your health insurance carrier.
If you waived the school's insurance, then lost your outside coverage
If this applies to you, you are still obligated to have health insurance coverage while at Otis College.This most commonly occurs in the following scenarios:
- Students turns 26 and loses coverage under their parents
- Covered CA or Medi-Cal coverage is not renewed
- Parent loses coverage through work so student no longer has their coverage
If you lose health insurance coverage part way through the plan year, you have the option to get onto the school's health insurance plan for the rest of the plan year. Your coverage will be pro-rated so that you only pay for the months that you receive coverage. If you would like to get onto the school's insurance mid-year, or have questions about this policy, please contact the Student Health and Wellness Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 310-846-5738
Student Health and Wellness Center | email@example.com | 310-846-5738