Question: How do I set up Apple Mail to send and receive e-mail from my Gmail account?
Follow these steps in Gmail:
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Click 'Settings' at the top right corner.
- Click 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
- Select 'Enable POP for all mail' or 'Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on'.
- Choose the action you would like your Gmail messages to take after they are accessed with POP.
- Click 'Save Changes'
Then follow these steps in Apple Mail:
- Open Apple Mail.
- Click 'Mail,' and select 'preferences...'
- Open the 'Accounts' and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.
- Enter 'pop.gmail.com' in the 'Incoming Mail Server' field.
- Enter your Gmail user name (including '@gmail.com') in the 'User Name' field.
- Enter your Gmail password in the 'Password' field.
- Select 'Add Server...' from the pop-up labeled 'Outgoing Mail Server,' and enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the 'Outgoing Mail Server' field.
- Enter '587' in the 'Server port' field.
- Check the box next to 'Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).'
- Select 'Password' next to 'Authentication:' and enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com) and Gmail password.
- Click 'OK.'
- Click 'Advanced' and check the box next to 'Use SSL.' (The port changes to '995.')
Close the window and click Save changes if you are prompted.
Question: What is SMTP?
Answer - Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) is the network protocol used to send email across the Internet