Master of Fine Arts, Writing-Critical Studies, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, California
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Central Saint Martins, London
Emma Kemp is a writer and artist concerned with interdisciplinary research practices. Originally from London, U.K., Emma received her BA in Art from Central Saint Martins, UAL and her MFA in Writing-Critical Studies from California Institute of the Arts.
She is co-founder of image-first research studio BAKERSFIELD. Her book, Blue Pool: Cecelia , in collaboration with photographer JoAnn Walters and published by Image Text Ithaca, was shortlisted for the Aperture Photobook Awards 2018. She organized and co-edited Astral Projection in Higher Ed (East of Borneo Books), a collection of notes from Art and Design educators compiled in the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic. Emma is the Program Co-ordinator for CalArts’ Summer Institute Studio Residency.
Emma believes that design is a process and a practice as much as a profession.
Classes taught: 2D PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN, CREATIVE PRACTICE, WRITING IN THE DIGITAL AGE, CAIL
Emma serves as AREA HEAD of 2D and CO-AREA HEAD of CREATIVE PRACTICE.
Awards and Residencies
- 2021, Al Larvick National Grant
- 2020, Teaching Excellence Award, Otis College Art & Design
- 2020, Faculty Research and Development Grant, Otis College Art & Design
- 2019, Rethinking “Crit” in the Studio-Classroom (Research Grant)
- 2019, Ithaca New Voices Festival
- 2016-2018, Utah Humanities Foundation: Delmont R. Oswald Fellow
- 2016, Faculty Research and Development Grant California Institute of the Arts
- 2015, Image Text Ithaca Fellow, Ithaca College
Selected Exhibitions, Conferences and Events
- 2021, The Culture Journalist Podcast
- 2021, East of Borneo W/Fiona Connor & Tom Lawson, Printed Matter LAABF
- 2020, Now Instant w/ Laida Lertxundi
- 2019, AICAD conference, Los Angeles
- 2019, FATE conference, Ohio
- 2019, Future Ruins @ John Baldessari Gallery, CalArts
- 2019, iTi @ NYABF, NY
- 2019, Bytemarks @ Holiday
- 2018, Jan-May, Home Bodies, Away Teams, Museum Contemporary Art Utah
- 2017, Home Bodies, Away Teams, Blue Roof Studios, Los Angeles
- 2017, CalArts CSSSA Visiting Artist
- 2017, Soft Serve @ Family, Los Angeles
- 2017, Mystic Hyperstitians in the Heart of Empire, Indianapolis Museum Contemporary Art
- forthcoming, BARBARA (MS under consideration with Siglio Press, L.A.)
- forthcoming, Our Modern Joy (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- 2021, Bakersfield (Pool, Issue #6, Plant)
- 2021, Remote Control (EOB Editions) a collection of pedagogical texts commissioned, curated and edited for East of Borneo, L.A.
- 2021, “Out Past the Eye Mark” (X—TRA Mag)
- 2021, “When You Cut into the Present” (X—TRA Online)
- 2020, Urgency Reader Vol. 1 & 2 (Queer Archive Work)
- 2020, CloudKitchens Report (Bakersfield / LACA)
- 2018, Blue Pool Cecelia, (iTi Press)