In the fall of 2018 Otis College of Art and Design celebrates 100 years as one of the oldest and most respected art colleges in the United States, located in the vibrant, diverse arts hub of Los Angeles. As a lead up to this milestone, Otis College is organizing an exciting invitational exhibition ASIA/LA ← → LA/ASIA, highlighting the College’s strong ties to Asia.
Soo Kim, (Clear as winter ice, this is your paradise)
ASIA/LA ← → LA/ASIA runs from April 14 to April 22, 2018 and will be installed on several floors of the stunning ARA Art Center in Seoul, South Korea. The exhibition features the work of Otis College alumni, as well as present and past faculty whose heritage, art practice, or passions connect them in interesting ways to Asian culture. Reflecting the Otis College interdisciplinary philosophy, the show will include works in all media, from fine art to fashion to product design.
“As we begin our centennial year, Otis College is excited to celebrate our esteemed alumni and faculty at the ASIA/LA ← → LA/ASIA Exhibition. This Exhibition celebrates the global creativity of the Otis College community and recognizes the important connections between L.A. and Asia. We look forward to seeing you in Seoul,” said Bruce W. Ferguson, President of Otis College of Art and Design.
Masami Teraoka, AIDS Series/Father and Son, 1990. Watercolor on unstretched canvas; 108 x 84 inches unframed.
Marlena Donohue, curator, critic, Professor of Art History at Otis College, and director of the Bruce Beasley Arts Foundation is curating the exhibit. Boseul Kim, MFA Public Practice '10, is the Curatorial and Outreach Assistant for the exhibition.
The following Otis College alumni and faculty artists will be featured during the exhibition:
- Misako Akaburi, Fashion Design faculty member
- John Baldessari, alumnus
- Chris Chang, Fashion Design alumna and Fashion Design mentor
- Sheri Chillingworth, painting and ceramic sculpture alumna and Otis College outreach and admissions counselor
- Meg Cranston, Chair, Fine Arts
- Roy Dowell, Chair, MFA Fine Arts
- Fey Fang, Fashion Design alumna
- Bryan Feld, Product Design alumnus
- Roni Feldman, Assistant Professor, Foundation
- Chris Girard, MFA Writing alumnus
- Michele Jaquis, Associate Professor and Director, Interdisciplinary Studies
- Soo Yun Jun, MFA Fine Arts alumna
- Paul Keng, Assistant Professor, Fashion Design Illustration
- Jae Ho Kim, Fashion Design alumnus
- Soo Kim, Professor, Program Director, Photography, Otis College
- Shon Kim, Former resident in L.A. Summer Residency
- Sianna Kim, Fashion Design alumna
- Grace Eunchong Lee, alumna
- Sumi Lee, Professor, Fashion Design and Model Drawing and Fashion Design alumna
- Joong Han Lee, Interactive Product Design alumnus
- Magdalena Lee, Fashion Design alumna
- Chris McAdam, Product Design faculty
- Mayuka Thais, Fine Arts alumna, Otis College Extension faculty
- Young Hyeon Oh-Sharp, alumna
- Renee Petropoulos, Associate Professor, MFA Fine Arts
- Lily Ramirez, Fine Arts Painting alumna
- Michelle Sin, Fine Arts alumna
- Alex Slade, Assistant Chair, Fine Arts
- Gershom, Sculpture and Painting alumnus, Liberal Arts and Sciences faculty
- Joan Takayama-Ogawa, Ceramics alumna and faculty
- Masami Teraoka, Fine Arts alumnus
- Sinnamon Thomas, Fashion Design alumna
- Ji Hyun Won, Fine Arts alumnus
- Jon Pierre Yousef, Digital Media alumnus
- Yuan Yuan Zhu, Fashion Design alumna
The public is invited to the opening of the exhibit on April 14 from 5-8pm, learn more.
Top image: John Baldessari, Noses & Ears, Etc.: Couple and Man with Gun, 2007. Lithograph with embosing, debosing and lithograph on metal dicut. 17 runs total; overall: 22 1/2 x 33 1/2 inches, first sheet: 22 1/2” x 16 inches, second sheet: 22 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches. El Nopal Press, Los Angeles. Edition of 50