Internship & Recruitment Day (IRD)
Friday, March 3, 2023 | In-person
What is IRD?
Internship & Recruitment Day (IRD) is Otis College of Art and Design’s annual creative recruiting event hosted by the Office of Career Services, which takes place in March. Each spring, employers come to the Otis College campus by LAX to recruit students from all majors for their paid summer internships, freelance, part-time, and full-time opportunities. This signature event occurs only once a year, so don’t miss this opportunity to gain access to top creative talent. IRD is designed to assist you and your organization’s talent needs in various creative endeavors and industries. Each registered employer participant will have the opportunity to meet individually to conduct interviews/portfolio reviews or offer a group info session with students from all creative majors at the College. Once you register, students will have the opportunity to select your organization and session time to meet with you during the event based on the position(s) you are seeking to fill.
IRD is a full-day career fair, or a half-day if you have limited availability. The same rate will apply no matter how long you spend on campus. This is a combined effort with all of our departments, including what was previously called the Fashion Internship Fair.
What types of students can I expect to meet with at IRD?
Employers can expect to meet with students from all over the globe who study in Otis' art and design programs: Digital Media (animation, motion design, game & entertainment design), Environmental Design (architecture/landscape/interiors, interiors + furniture), Fashion Design, Fine Arts (painting, photography, sculpture/new genres), Graphic Design, Illustration, Product Design, and Toy Design, MFA Fine Arts, and MFA Graphic Design. While we expect you will meet a variety of talented individuals within the Otis Community, please keep in mind that this is also a learning experience for students and some may be meeting employers/organizations for the first time.
What information do I need to register for IRD?
To ensure that the registration process is quick and easy, please have the following information ready to register for access to top talent from Otis College:
- Company and department interested in creative talent candidates
- A brief description of your organization
- Company representatives' information (indicate if any are Otis alumnx)
- Position descriptions with
- Required and/or preferred skills and qualifications
- Desired hours
- Rate of pay
- Location (remote/in-person, etc)
- Company culture
- Otis College programs you're interested in recruiting from (read more about our majors and minors here)
How do I register for IRD?
Invitations have been sent out through our career platform Handshake. Create an account now to be sure and receive an invitation. Once you have an account, login on Handshake, then navigate to the Otis Internship & Recruitment Day event.
Overview of Registration Process
- Register in Handshake.
- Pay in Handshake by the specified deadline to lock in your rate. If you miss the payment deadline you will pay a higher rate. You can always add representatives for an additional fee (or cancel with a refund) until 2/15/23. (Early Bird: 1/13, Regular deadline: 2/3, Late: 2/15.)
- After your registration is approved*, you will receive instructions to create your profile and interview schedule in Career Fair Plus to participate in our Discipline-Specific Career Fair and/or our General Career Fair (look for TWO emails from Career Fair Plus - one for each option). Career Fair Plus will require a separate login for each representative to manage sessions and see student portfolios, and this platform will be an asset to the day-of event, so be sure to download the mobile app! (Links will be provided.) *Please note: we reserve the right to decline or cancel registrations for organizations that do not align with the mission and DEI values of the Otis community.
- Please schedule 15-min 1:1 meetings with students through Career Fair Plus. We have strict guidelines for 20-min group sessions as there is limited room availability. Group sessions will need to be approved and scheduled by Sylvia Bier, Employer and Internship Specialist: email@example.com or 424-207-3760.
Meeting with Department Chairs (virtual)
During the week of 2/13/23, we will host a virtual meeting to share an overview of the event and an opportunity to meet department chairs for each discipline. This will help you better understand our programs and students to make the most of your time at IRD. Please review our programs at: https://www.otis.edu/programs.
IRD EVENT SCHEDULE Friday, March 3, 2023 (in person)
7:30am: Arrival Time
8:00am-8:30am: Welcome Kick-Off Meeting
8:30am-12:00pm: Discipline-Specific Career Fair
Select students from ONE discipline to meet with. Make this selection in the Career Fair Plus app for the Discipline-Specific Fair, Enable Prerequisites, and choose the discipline you want to meet. Our departments have customized this part of the day for their students' needs and some group sessions are not available. Students will sign up for these sessions in advance. Interested in a second discipline? Consider sending additional reps, or meet students from multiple disciplines at the general fair later on!
12:00-12:30pm: Open Employer/Organization Tables
No sign-ups, students just walk up and chat, drop off a resume, or pick up information. Students will also be able to use the Resume Drop in the Career Fair Plus app.
12:30-1:30pm: Networking lunch
Lunch provided for participating students and employers/organizations.
1:30-5:00pm: General Career Fair
Meet students from one or more disciplines or those still undeclared, depending on your needs and opportunities available. Students will sign up for these sessions in advance. Be sure to create your schedule in the Career Fair Plus app for the General Career Fair.
5:00-5:30pm: Wrap-Up Meeting and Open Networking
Email Sylvia Bier at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.