Fine Arts Certificate
Refine your studio practice as a fine artist while working toward a portfolio that can be used for professional opportunities, including exhibiting, selling your work, and applying for postsecondary art studies. The Fine Arts Certificate Program at Otis Extension provides an overview of the concepts, language, and skills of fine art practice. A strong emphasis is placed on helping you develop your personal artistic vision. That vision is facilitated by a close working relationship between faculty and students. This program is designed to prepare students as fine artists, including painters, sculptors, and printmakers.
What you will learn:
- Visual art fundamentals, including drawing, composition, design, and color
- Art history to provide context for artistic ideas
- Essential foundations of painting, photography, sculpture, and more
- How to present and articulate your artistic ideas to an audience
- Relevant art and design terminology, techniques, and tools
- Exposure to business practices relevant to fine art professions
Prospective Student Resources
- Attend an Info Session for certificate details and a registration discount
- View a course planning document to learn more about course sequence and timelines
- Submit materials to waive a required course
- Chat with us during drop-in hours: Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Schedule an appointment with an Extension Advisor
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Approximate Course Cost: $505*
- Total Number of Courses: 8
- Estimated Total Tuition: $4,040**
*Cost after certificate tuition discount. Upon submitting the certificate application and fee, students qualify for a 15% tuition discount per course at the time of enrollment.
**Cost after certificate tuition discount. Courses are individually priced. Tuition and course fees are paid at the time of enrollment in each course. Total tuition is not paid in advance or in a lump sum.
Eligibility and Requirements
Students must be 18 years of age to enroll. No portfolio or prior experience is required.
Individuals interested in this certificate program can take up to two courses before committing to the program. Before beginning their third course, students are required to submit a Certificate Program Enrollment Application with a non-refundable $185 application fee.
Students are notified of their certificate application results three times per year according to the following dates:
- Between 12/15/22 - 2/11/23 for Spring 2023 start
- Between 4/6/23 - 6/3/23 for Summer 2023 start
- Between 8/3/23 - 9/23/23 for Fall 2023 start
Click below to apply now!