Frequently Asked Questions and Policies
What is the instructor to student ratio at camp?
Otis Extension summer camps maintain a ratio of 1 adult to 9 students at most.
What will my student be doing at camp?
- 8:45am - 9:00am: Check-in
- 9:00am -10:30am: Camp begins and students attend their first class session
- 10:30am - 10:50am: Morning Break
- 10:50am - 12:15pm: Students attend their second class session
- 12:15pm - 1:00pm: Lunch for full day students
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm: Students attend their third class session
- 2:30pm - 2:50pm - Afternoon Break
- 2:50pm - 4:15pm - Students attend their fourth class session
- 4:15pm: Check-out
What do I need to know about checking my student in and out of camp?
- SYC instructors and classroom assistants monitor the signing in and out of students on a daily basis, as well as maintaining emergency contact details for each student. Emergency contact details are also stored in the Otis Extension office.
- The College requires that parents/guardians of children ages 5-12 participating in summer camp sign their child in and out of class on a daily basis.
- Parents/guardians may elect to allow their youth enrolled in summer camp ages 13-14 to sign themselves in and out of class.
Do I need to bring my ID to pick up my student?
- All authorized adults picking up a student will be required to show a photo ID. Please be prepared to show ID every time you pick up a student.
- Only a parent/guardian or those individuals who have been provided as emergency contacts in the Youth Mandatory Form may pick up a student.
- A child may not be released to anyone without prior written permission from the parent/guardian. If you need to add an additional person to your child’s emergency contact list at any time during camp, please email email@example.com.
What happens if I arrive late to pick up my student?
- Students who have not been picked up within 10 minutes of camp ending will be escorted by the instructor or classroom assistant to the Extension office, located 1st floor, Room 108 in Ahmanson Hall. The parent will be notified to pick-up the child. If the parent does not pick up the child, an emergency contact will be notified.
- Parents/guardians who pick up their student more than 10 minutes after the end of camp will be charged a late pick up fee of $1/minute.
What are the behavioral expectations at camp?
Students are expected to follow the Student Code of Conduct at all times while attending camp. Parents and students should review student expectations together in advance of camp. Full details can be found in the Summer Youth Camps Mandatory Forms Packet.
How is Otis Extension addressing COVID-19 safety?
Any person intending to go to campus will need to follow Otis College’s COVID-19 Safety and Campus Access policies as per the Extension Policies webpage.
What forms do I need to fill out before my student can attend camp?
All students enrolled in camp must submit the Summer Youth Camps Mandatory Forms Packet prior to admittance into the classroom. Students will not be permitted to attend camp without submission of these forms. Please follow the link below to complete the packet.
Where does the camp take place?
Summer Youth Camps take place in Ahmanson Hall on the Otis Extension Campus. We are located at 9045 Lincoln Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90045. A map of the Otis campus can be found here.
Do I need to pack my student a lunch and/or snack?
- Campers attending a full day camp should bring a packed lunch, water bottle, and 1-2 snacks every day.
- Campers attending a half day camp should bring a water bottle and snack every day.
Who should I contact in case of emergency?
Please call the Extension office at 310-665-6850 or Campus Safety and Security at 310-665-6965.
Where should I park?
Otis College Extension provides free parking for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Summer Youth Camp families will be given a parking pass on the first day of camp at check-in.
Available parking spaces are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. The parking structure is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, however, a valid Otis parking pass or identification is required to enter the parking structure from 11:00 pm to 6:00 a.m. Otis College is not responsible for any theft, vandalism, or damage to vehicles or persons who park on-campus. More information about parking guidelines, restrictions, and reasons for citation can be found here.
What should students bring to camp?
Students should come to camp in closed toed shoes and comfortable clothing (we recommend clothes that you are ok with getting a little messy). Students should bring a packed lunch and snacks, water bottle, sunscreen if needed, and their camp ID that they will receive on the first day of camp. Masks are strongly recommended but not required.
Questions? Please contact the Summer Youth Camps team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 310.665.6850.